Invictus Capital: Weekly Wrap 05.02
The weekly wrap can be delivered to your inbox at the end of each week by subscribing to the Invictus Capital newsletter at the bottom of the homepage
A relatively quiet week for markets saw the Gamestop hype die down along with a cratering share price, down around 90% from last Thursday’s high of $508; as expected, late-to-the-party retail traders were left holding the ashes, with hedge funds and retail who’d been long pre-hype (and those who shorted at the peak) reaping rewards.
Back in reality, markets took heart from encouraging global manufacturing PMIs, statements from the Bank of England expecting a rapid economic rebound, and estimate-beating US employment readings. The US yield curve responded by steepening to levels not seen since 2015 — generally a sign of bullish market expectations for the economy’s future.
Higher long-term US yields helped the dollar to surge by attracting capital flows. The combined effect of this dollar strength and greater real yields (despite inflation expectations continuing to rise) weighed heavily on gold, with the price briefly dipping back below $1,800/toz on Thursday. Global stock markets had a great week, with European indices having their best week in months.
Despite the aforementioned dollar strength, crypto markets were not perturbed. Ethereum broke above the $1,400 level under which it had been consolidating, ending the week more than 20% up. Bitcoin also rallied strongly, supported by on-chain metrics showing net outflows from exchanges (all while stablecoin inflows continue to spike). This suggests buyers intend to hold over the longer term. Altcoins continued their ascent as the Invictus C10 Fund reached an all-time high of $3.40 on Friday while C20 remains poised to break the $2 mark.
Indicators (29 January — 5 February)
- Invictus Margin Lending (IML): $1.18, +7.22% (weekly compound annualized rate)
- Invictus Gold Plus (IGP): $1.11, -1.48%
- Emerging Markets Solar (EMS): $1.20, +0.38%
- Crypto10 Hedged (C10): $3.23, +15.78%
- Crypto20 (C20): $1.83, +19.66%
- Invictus Bitcoin Alpha (IBA): $1.76, +11.18%
- Invictus Hyperion Fund (IHF): $0.238 (Updated Q4–20)
- BTC: $36,957.26, +11.21%
- ETH: $1,596.67, +20.06%
- GOLD: $1,794.00, -2.65%
- S&P500: 3,871.74, +2.23%
Other News & Links
- Invictus in the Press / News
1. Invictus was featured in a YouTube crypto news video by New Kids on the Block recently, here
2. Invest smartly with a crypto index fund
- 4 reasons Bitcoin is about to reclaim $38K putting all-time highs back in play
- Syntropy News
1. Syntropy and the Internet of Things: Developers Are Building Now
2. Create an IoT network using the Syntropy Stack (Part 2): Using Ansible, Docker, Mosquitto and NodeJS
3. Roadmap Update 01.21–02.04
- Treasuries Curve Steepens to 2015 Levels With a Bump From BOE
Interested in Invictus Capital? Investing is possible after signing up and completing account verification.
You can also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org anytime